Expat Shanghai Dentist Guide
How to Find a Shanghai Dentist
Shanghai expats are fortunate to have an extensive number of dentists and orthodontists (dentists with further expertise in tooth and jaw alignment) to choose from.
This industry opened up to foreign investment earlier and more widely
than other medical services in China, so many dental clinics with investments from abroad have
set up in Shanghai.
You can find a list of Shanghai international dental clinics for expats below.
Many of the foreign Shanghai dentists and specialists (orthodontists, oral surgeons, periodontists, pedodontists) working in these dental offices are expats themselves, trained in different countries around the world.
As a result, a large number of foreign languages are spoken in the Shanghai dental fraternity. German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Hebrew, Serbian, Japanese, and Korean are but a few examples.
So it is especially easy to find an English speaking dentist in Shanghai.
Shanghai Dental Services
A wide range of dental treatments are available.
- Examinations (with or without x-rays): to check the condition of your teeth and gums. No discomfort doesn’t always mean that everything is ok.
- Cleaning: to remove tartar and improve the health of the gums.
- Fillings: for smaller cavities and defects.
- Inlays: when a larger part of a tooth is missing.
- Crowns: in situations where a large part of the tooth structure has been lost.
- Bridges: when a tooth is lost and the adjacent teeth are used to permanently anchor a replacement tooth.
- Implants: when a tooth is absent and a new tooth is created with the help of a titanium screw. The adjacent teeth do not have to be involved.
- Root canal treatment: when a cavity is very deep and the nerve of the tooth has been affected.
- Extractions: when a tooth cannot be saved and has to be removed.
- Orthodontic treatment: to align crooked teeth and improve the relation between upper and lower jaw. (braces, invisalign treatment, retainers)
- Facings: a thin layer of porcelain or resin over the front teeth to improve the appearance.
- Bleaching: to lighten the colour of the teeth. Please note that only natural tooth material can be bleached. The colour of fillings and crowns remains unchanged.
Shanghai Dentist Fees
Dental treatment in Shanghai can be very expensive. Some clinics have direct billing facilities with insurance companies, but unfortunately this sometimes results in prices being even higher.
Always make sure you know the exact cost and if you are eligible for reimbursement through your insurance company before the start of your treatment with a Shanghai dentist.
Contributor: Dr. Abraham van der Velden is a visiting Professor at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, as well as an expat dentist at DDS Dental Care in Shanghai.
Shanghai Dental Resources
DDS Dental Care
(HuaiHai Rd., HongQiao, Lujiazui, Tianlin)
The French Dentist
(Shanghai Mart, 2299 Yanan Rd, Changning)
Parkway Health Dental
(Jingan, Pudong Jinqiao)
United Family Health
DeltaWest Clinic Dental
Global Health Care
(Puxi Jingan District Nanjing West Rd., Pudong Lujiazui WFC)
(Xuhui Hongmei Rd.)
CAD Dental Care (Puxi Huai Hai Central Rd.)
(Japanese and English. Pudong, Jingan, Changning)
(Japanese and English. Gubei)
New York Dental
(Gubei, Pudong Century Park)
(Hongqiao, Pudong Jinqiao Biyun)
(Jingan, Pudong Lujiazui)
(Pudong Lujiazui, Luwan, Xujiahui)
Click here to find our Shanghai hospital resources webpage
Go from Shanghai Dentist to the Shanghai Expat home page